TOPNOTCH Entertainment Feature Story: 'I enjoy good relationship with FUNAAB artistes' – Spyce Elijah.


TOPNOTCH Entertainment
Feature Story.





'I enjoy good relationship with FUNAAB artistes' – Spyce Elijah.

SPYCE ELIJAH speaks on his life, career, relationship, goals, lifestyle in an interview with correspondent, TOP DORR. Here are the excerpts:

Can you briefly introduce yourself?
My name is Etuazim Elijah also known as Spyce Elijah from Delta State, Nigeria. I'm currently a 500level student of the department of Animal Physiology, COLANIM.

What is your background like?
It was fantastic. I am the last from a family of four. I was born in 1994. I have two brothers and a sister. I was born and raised in Lagos State. I schooled in Mayflower Secondary School and I attended Ibadan Polytechnic where I studied Computer Science before coming here. I discovered my passion for music in 2009/2010 during the time Dagrin was rapping. I mimicked MI and Lil Wayne and started writing and around that time I recorded my first song. Initially, my first recording was with KL who's late now and that was titled "Akogun" and my first song "Dem all over me" still online was recorded in 2011 and it was published by 360nobs in 2012. That was just about the journey, the beginning.

What was the response of your parents to the line of career that you chose?
From my background, I wasn't a dull child and so my parents believed in me. I was always the goal getter type and so when my parents figured out that I had a strong passion for it because back then I did it for the fun of it and not for the money. I had to work in a rope making factory to pay for my studio sessions. They could not really stop me cause I did not need their support so to say. I hustled for my own money and I still do and I never needed them to pay for my sessions. I believed that if I put my all in my music, people would love it and want to assist me. My parents only advice me not to get involved in the wrong life. Besides, I like to be in charge of my music career.

What has influenced your music greatly?
I don't really have a mentor. I study people when I like a particular sound. I study the likes of Kanye West because of the strength in his vocal power, MI, Ice Prince and so many other people and so my sound is highly influenced by Kanye, MI and Eminem, the bulk of these three is in the blend of my music. Also, my message is greatly influenced by my environment, my upbringing and every song that I have ever made tells a story about me and each phase of my life that I maybe in at that moment.

How do you balance school with your music career?
I have been taking life at my own pace because it's not easy paying for school stuffs, taking care of yourself as a student and being an independent artiste trying to push your own song, find time for studio and vocal training. Throughout school, I only record when I feel like I can do it so I don't go broke chasing the dream. I take things slow and steady, I write most times and keep my head in the game. I listen to new sounds and new people.

Which song has brought you out to the limelight?
You know, exposure is in levels. When I recorded my first song at 17, I wasn't well known but it gave me great exposure and introduced me to the likes of Cobhams, sound engineer; Tiwezi who has produced a lot of hit songs that is out there, Alex Amos and so many other great people. Also, in 2012 at the polytechnic, I recorded "Champions" with Gtag (now Oluwalargest) and it exposed me because people loved the delivery I made on the song. Champions had a lot of airplays in Lagos and Ibadan and even reviews in newspapers. Also, still around 2013, I featured in Loud and Proud live in Lagos which brought me close to Vector because he loved my performance, he came up stage and hailed me and I made a mixtape with the voice note where he hailed me. I also made a cover of Mac Miller's "Thoughts from the balcony" with Kenny Blaq around that time. And from there, I have gotten a lot of exposure and recently "My Africa" which has given me a lot of exposure because My Africa is like an improved version of me vocally, and it had a stronger message. It had a lot of airplays in Lagos, a lot of buzz in FUNAAB. So I think "My Africa" has given me the most exposure.

What is your relationship like with other FUNAAB artistes?
I have enjoyed a good relationship with all FUNAAB artistes; the likes of Phamos, Kjuni, Haryomizzy and so on. I think FUNAAB artistes are really great at supporting each other. There's no beef and it's like a great family ride. The top producers in school are my friends talking of Niphkeys, KSS, Bravo, Bernito, Octavia, Nike. Music is very much easy with these people around.

Are you in a relationship?
Well, I am very single. I don't have any love life. Right now, I am focused on a lot of things; the final year project, life after school and the pressure is so much that I wish that I had being in a relationship in my 300 or 400 level because right now I can not put in the time needed in a relationship; all the attention and so on.

Have you had any embarrassing moments on campus?
Well, I am not a very easy person to embarrass so I will say No but the worst thing that has happened to me on campus is being asked to cut my hair. From the first day I went to the senate block for my registration, I met this mean looking yellow uniformed sheriff and she was beefing me. I was really angry and I had to continue my registration in 200level.

How do you like to dress?
On a normal day you would find me on a Tshirt and jean, sneaker or boot. Simplicity does it for me. I can not do without any fashion item.

Any closing remarks?
I feel like it's okay to move at my own pace, not necessarily complacent, but not moving with the fear of disappointing the fans or people's expectations. The regular upcoming artiste is not equipped with the resources that the stars or signed artistes have, and in my case, juggling music with academics, I have minute time to write/record/rehearse, little resources to promote or be on every event comfortably. So I basically don't go broke or broken trying to be an 'artiste' if I get motivated to do a song, I do it. if I have enough resources to promote I do that also. I hope that when I'm out of school I'd be exposed to much more support and funds and also time to concentrat on the craft. Right now I am still a once in a while artiste. I just happen to be a really good one.
Check out his recent single: https://www.360nobs.com/2017/08/360fresh-spyce-elijah-africa-prod-niphkeys/

CORRESPONDENT : TOP Dorr
Topnotch Press ©

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAN O'WAR(FUNAAB COMMAND) HOLDS PRE-NYSC CAMP TRAINING FOR FINALISTS

THE BATTLE FOR AKANKE (A VILLAGE LOVE BATTLE)

Transportation Issues In Funaab